Advocacy & getting help
We have trained staff called advocates who can help you if you are having problems in care or living away from home.
How we can help
An advocate can help you if:
- You want some help in saying the things you need to say to those who make decisions about you.
- If you are unhappy about the way you are being treated by social services or you are worried about plans being made, such as a move.
- If you need information and advice and want to know your rights.
- An advocate can make sure you understand what people are saying and help you say what you want to say and make sure people listen to you.
- An advocate can be with you at meetings.
Our helpline - 0808 800 5792
You can contact an advocate by contacting our helpline. The helpline is open every weekday from 9.30am to 6pm. Someone is always available to help you. Your call will be FREE from any landline and it is also free from most mobile networks, including: 3, O2, Orange, T-mobile, Virgin and Vodafone. We are also always very happy to call you back if you are not sure if the call is costing you money.
We treat children and young people fairly, equally and with respect. We are independent from social services and we respect your confidentiality.
We will get an interpreter to speak with you if you don’t speak English.
What young people say about Voice:
“Adults started to listen to what I have to say.”
“My advocate helped me get my views across and understands my needs.”
“Having an advocate helped me to be confident and not to give up on my case. I felt like having an advocate really boosted up my case. My advocate knew how to handle my case because of his experience with other young people.”
“I felt listened to.”
“I had someone who understood me and how I am feeling.”
“Voice was able to quickly and correctly sort out any issues.”
“I found having an advocate gave me confidence to speak out and say what I think.”
You can contact our helpline here.
If you need to speak to someone urgently and our helpline is not open, you can call Childline at any time on 0800 1111 to speak to a counsellor. Calls are free and confidential.